|Royal Irish Academy
|1st June 2023 10:00 AM (GMT)
Changing climates, extreme weather events and rising sea levels will impact on the culture and heritage of Ireland in many ways. This one-day conference will explore these impacts, bringing together climate and heritage researchers and practitioners to discuss solutions.
The research area of climate change and heritage is relatively new. This conference will focus on emerging research priorities which participants will be invited to discuss including:
• The impact of climate change: Predicting and assessing the impacts of climate change on and through culture and heritage.
• Protecting heritage: Opportunities for climate mitigation, protection and adaptation strategies, and sustainable development.
The conference will open with a review of the national and EU-wide situation with regards research on and mitigations for the impact of climate change on heritage. This will be followed by a series of case study presentations on areas of relevance to Ireland including the impacts of climate change on coastal heritage, the historic built environment, waterways, scientific heritage, cultural heritage and biodiversity. Attendees will explore areas for development and the solutions that exist or are needed. The closing session will explore what the research and practitioner sectors in Ireland can do to generate solutions.
The intended audience includes:
• Academics working in climate change and environmental sciences.
• Academics studying heritage sciences and heritage related disciplines.
• Practitioners including local authorities, architects, planners and representatives of cultural institutions.
• Community representatives including members of creative and heritage groups, local environmental groups and citizen scientists.
This conference is being organised by the Royal Irish Academy’s Climate Change and Environmental Sciences multidisciplinary committee. It is kindly supported by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.
Please contact Síle Lane, programme manager, for more information email@example.com
Location: Royal Irish Academy 19 Dawson St D2 Dublin Ireland
Admission is free.Back to Calendar